Monday 17 August 2009

Mile End

Monday 17th 10:30 Mile End, London.

I don't think I've ever owned a suitcase where the wheels didn't come off. I moved one of my two suitcases yesterday from my old place in Oval to where I'm staying
with my polish flatmate from when I was living in Crouch End a few summers ago. The first tube I took I heard something snap and a lady was kind enough to pick up the debris and hand it to me. "Thanks..I hope that's not important." I said taking my suitcase rightwheel from her. It was quite a haul. Sunday afternoon, everyone and their family out for the day, trying to navigate the spiralling staircases when switching to the Central Line at Bank. I did buy the suitcases from that stall outside Warren station for 30 quid and they did last all of two journeys: made me wonder just how much better those really expensive samsonites are.
Ah well.. to the landfill with you. Now I need to find a home for the other one and get back into the grind which starts this eve: been at work the last week to chat with the managers and say hello to the many friends made over the years and introducing myself to some of the new faces while breezing through the hefty tome that is my new contract. Since I intended fully to emigrate to Spain I was no longer in the system. They gave me my new rota on thursday, tonight some bits and bobs of uniform and other standards and I'm back in business: N7 for those who know what that means.

Its tiring coming home from a journey and everyone wants a piece of you. I don't know how rockstars do it being the centre of attention. Where's my quiet cup of tea ? ha! The past few days have been a whirlwind of places and faces as I've met up with friends and colleagues for drinks and lunches and dinners, leaving do-s and home comings. I'm loving it, though its such a big break from the easy going lifestyle Andrea and I enjoyed in Barcelona, and I do miss my cafe con ponque listening to podcasts, this is like a shot in the arm. London has a rep for being hectic and its organised chaos within city-limits is a marvel to behold. Though most who come to dip their toes in this bigger pond do burn out within 5 years as much as I enjoy the country-side this is where I recharge my batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment